Monday, September 14, 2009

Holy Crap I Died for Five Weeks

I was considering posting an apology here for not only not posting recently but also for not posting about not posting beforehand, but I won't. Because I have two very good reasons why my last entry was sometime in the Paleozoic Era: 1) H1N1, and 2) Damn Commies.

I embarked on a circumnavigation of half the globe sometime back in the middle of August, and along the way I got swine flu in Hong Kong, hospitalized in Dubai, reverse altitude sickness coming out of Tibet, and blocked from Blogger (along with 90% of the internet, and 99% of the internet's good parts) in China. Hence, not being either Jesus or Chuck Norris, I realized I'd have no choice but to leave you with a picture of a lovely deep sea angler for the past few weeks.


This route only includes where I stayed for at least one night. Curvy lines were flights, that dotted line was an overnight train ride. For big version, click on the picture or here.

I arrived in LA just yesterday, and though listening to the trilled "rr"s and long "o"s of the native language here did feel oddly comforting after a month of non-Latin, the best part about being home, by far, is coming back into the arms of pop culture. Serena Williams. Kanye West. Obama calling Kanye West a jackass. Thank you Lord for blessing us with such entertaining black people. So as soon as I catch up on the month of Youtube and MTV that I've missed, I'll perhaps update you with all the details of my trip. In the mean time, here's a pictorial lesson, from yours truly, on how to sleep in the airport when your red-eye flight has been delayed five hours, while simultaneously guarding your carry-on items from terrorists and thieves.


Hint: tie some of your bags to your wrist. With a flowery, yellow ribbon.